Break It Off in 2019 Contest Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
- PROMOTION DESCRIPTION: The Break It Off in 2019 Contest (“Contest”) begins on January 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM ET and ends on February 4, 2019, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET (“Contest Period”).
The sponsor of this contest is the Canadian Cancer Society (“Sponsor”). By participating in the contest, each entrant (an “Entrant”) unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of entries (the “Entries”) and the overall administration of the Contest. Entrants should look solely to Sponsor with any questions, comments or problems related to Contest. Sponsor may be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org during the Contest Period.
- ELIGIBILITY:The Contest is open only to residents of Canada who have reached the legal age of majority in their province/territory of residence at the time of entry.
- HOW TO ENTER: No purchase required. Entrants may enter online though the Break It Off Facebook page located at www.facebook.com/BreakitOffCA/. To enter the Contest, visit the Break It Off Facebook page and click on the Contest link. Follow the on-screen directions to complete and submit your entry information as explained on the form, including providing first and last name and email address. Entrant agrees to be bound by the Official Rules. Limit one (1) entry per person and per email address. If it is discovered that more than one entry is obtained from the same person or same email address, all entries obtained from such person or from such email address will be disqualified. Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt by Sponsor. Entries made through any robotic, automatic, mechanical, programmed or similar entry duplication method are ineligible and will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual and all entries using such method. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entry, such entry will be deemed made by the person named on the entry form. Any entries not in conformance with these Official Rules will be disqualified.
The Contest is subject to the general terms and conditions found at: http://breakitoff.ca/legal/. The Sponsor will deal with comments to its social media account in a manner consistent with Health Canada’s Social Media Terms and Conditions.
- WINNER SELECTION: On February 5, 2019 at 1:00 PM ET, a random draw for Prize will take place in Toronto, Ontario from among all eligible Entries received in accordance with these Rules. The Sponsor’s designated representative will make one (1) attempt to contact the potential Prize winner by the email address within three (3) business days of the applicable Draw Date. If a potential Prize winner has not been contacted and/or made contact with the Sponsor’s designated representative within 48 hours of the first attempted contact, or there is a return of any notification as undeliverable; then he/she will be disqualified and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to randomly select an alternate potential Prize winner from among the remaining eligible Entries received during the Contest Period (in which case the foregoing provisions of this section shall apply to such new potential Prize winner).
- PRIZE WINNER VERIFICATION AND CONFIRMATION: All Entries and Entrants are subject to verification at any time and for any reason. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility (in a form acceptable to the Sponsor – including, without limitation, government issued photo identification): (i) for the purposes of verifying an individual’s eligibility to participate in this Contest; (ii) for the purposes of verifying the eligibility and/or legitimacy of any Entry or other information entered (or purportedly entered) for the purposes of this Contest; and/or (iii) for any other reason the Sponsor deems necessary, in its sole and absolute discretion, for the purposes of administering this Contest in accordance with these Official Rules. Failure to provide such proof to the complete satisfaction of the Sponsor within the timeline specified by the Sponsor may result in disqualification in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor.
Before being declared a confirmed Prize winner, the potential Prize winner will be required to:
- correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question without mechanical or other aid to be administered by telephone at a mutually convenient time; and
- sign and return within five (5) business days of notification, the Sponsor’s declaration and release form, which (among other things):
- confirms compliance with these Official Rules;
- acknowledges acceptance of the applicable Prize as awarded;
- releases the Sponsor and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability in connection with this Contest, his/her participation therein and/or the awarding and use/misuse of the applicable Prize or any portion thereof;
- agrees to the publication, reproduction and/or other use of his/her name, address, voice, statements about the Contest and/or photograph (including photographs taken at the applicable prize presentation event, if applicable) or other likeness without further notice or compensation, in any publicity or advertisement carried out by or on behalf of the Sponsor in any manner whatsoever, including print, broadcast or the internet. In addition, each confirmed Prize winner may choose to participate in optional media interviews.
- If a selected Entrant:
- fails to correctly answer the skill-testing question;
- fails to return the executed declaration and release form within the specified time; or
- cannot accept the applicable Prize for any reason;
then such potential Prize winner will be disqualified (and, if disqualified, will forfeit all rights to the applicable Prize) and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to randomly select an alternate potential Prize winner from among the remaining applicable eligible Entries (in which case the foregoing provisions of this Section 5 shall apply to such new potential Prize winner).
- PRIZES: There is one (1) prize available to be won in relation to the Entries (the “Prize”). The Prize consists of one (1) $250 CAD cash prize (payable in the form of a cheque). The Prize must be accepted as awarded.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS:All Entries become the property of the Sponsor. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, territorial and municipal laws. The decisions of the Sponsor with respect to all aspects of this Contest are final and binding on all Entrants without right of appeal.
The Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (the “Régie”) in Quebec, to withdraw, amend or suspend this Contest (or to amend these Official Rules) in any way, in the event of any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor that interferes with the proper conduct of this Contest as contemplated by these Official Rules, including, without limitation, any error, technical problem, computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failure. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest in any way (as determined by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion) is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
The Sponsor, subject only to the approval of the Régie, reserves the right to cancel, amend or suspend this Contest, or to amend these Official Rules, in any way without prior notice or obligation, in the event of any accident, printing, administrative, or other error of any kind, or for any other reason whatsoever. Without limiting the generality of the forgoing, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to administer an alternate test of skill as it deems appropriate based on the circumstances and/or to comply with applicable law. The Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to the approval of the Régie, to adjust any of the dates, timeframes and/or other Contest mechanics stipulated in these Official Rules, to the extent necessary, for purposes of verifying compliance by any Entrant or Entry with these Official Rules, or as a result of any technical or other problems, or in light of any other circumstances which, in the opinion of the Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, affect the proper administration of the Contest as contemplated in these Official Rules, or for any other reason.
For Quebec residents: Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this Contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Quebec for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
The Break It Off campaign is a smoking-cessation-related, non-commercial website developed and maintained collaboratively by Health Canada and the Canadian Cancer Society. The Releasees (Canadian Cancer Society/Health Canada) will not be liable for any failure of the website during the Contest; for any technical malfunction or other problems relating to the telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; for the failure of any Entry or other Contest-related information to be received for any reason including, but not limited to, technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website; for late, lost, misdirected, delayed, incomplete or incompatible Entries (all of which are void); or any combination of the above. Further, the Releasees will not be liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer or other device related to or resulting from participating or downloading any material in the Contest.
All email addresses must correspond with a valid e-mail account. Automated and/or repetitive submission of Entries (including, but not limited to, registrations made using any script, macro, bot or contest service) will be disqualified and transmissions from these or related email or IP addresses may be blocked. If it is discovered by the Sponsor (using any evidence or other information made available to or otherwise discovered by the Sponsor) that any person has attempted to: (i) exceed any of the limits stated in these Official Rules; and/or (ii) use multiple names, identities, email addresses and/or any automated, macro, script, robotic or other system(s) or program(s) to enter or otherwise participate in or to disrupt this Contest; then he/she may be disqualified from the Contest or only the first Entry may be deemed valid, subject to its compliance with these Official Rules (as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion).
If due to printing, production, online, internet, computer or other error of any kind, more Prizes are claimed than intended to be distributed or awarded according to these Official Rules, then, in addition to having the right to terminate the Contest immediately (subject only to the approval of the Régie), the Sponsor reserves the right to rescind invalid Prize claims, conduct a random draw from amongst all eligible claimants in order to award the correct number of Prizes (as applicable). In no event will the Sponsor be liable to award more than the number of Prizes as stated in these Official Rules (at any prizing level).
By participating in this Contest, each Entrant agrees to release and hold harmless the Releasees from any liability for any loss or damage of any kind to the Entrant or any other person in connection with this Contest or participation in any Contest-related activities, and, if confirmed as a Prize winner, the use or misuse of the applicable Prize, including without limitation personal injury, death or property damage. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an Entry, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to deem the Entry to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the person who is assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:All intellectual property used by the Sponsor in connection with the promotion and/or administration of the Contest, including, without limitation, all trade-marks, trade names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source code, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned (or licensed, as the case may be) by the Sponsor and/or its affiliates. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any such intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.
- DISCREPANCY: In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of these Official Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials, the terms and conditions of these Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of these English Rules and the French version of these Rules, these English Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
- The Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.